How do I keep my motivation up when it comes to working out? This is a question that gets asked quite a lot. I myself have struggled in the past, and even now have times when I lose motivation. But I am a Trainer so I should be motivated all the time, right? Well, I am still human and not a robot. It’s how we overcome the non-motivational stages to get us back and keep kicking butt with our training!
Here is a few helpful tips on how to keep that motivation ticking:
- Schedule your workout days and times. When you have them scheduled into your diary you have already made that time for the workout, making it more likely for you to stick to it.
- Plan your programs ahead of the training session. If you go to the gym knowing what you’re going to do, this helps to not procrastinate with trying to piece something together.
- Train with a partner, friend or in a group class environment. The motivation from the people around you will push you to make it happen. Trust me I witness it first-hand every day!
- Set your self a goal. Have a certain time frame that you want to achieve something, whether that’s to get fitter, get stronger, or even as specific as doing 5 pull-ups, etc.…. When you have achieved that goal, set your self another one and keep yourself accountable to this.
- Mix your training up. Try and make each workout different and try new things. This helps to not become bored of your training and keeps it fun. Which it should be! Routine is great in some cases, but variability in your programming and learning new skills will keep you interested.
- Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. We can be so harsh on ourselves sometimes, and when we become so frustrated with our efforts it can turn our thoughts into negative ones. Try and keep positive about your training. Some days it will all go to plan and other days not so much but that’s ok, it’s turning up that counts! “Expectation is the mother of all frustration.” – Antonio Banderas. Go easy on yourself.
So have a go at these. Remember consistency is key in all means of execution. Set your goals, stay loyal to them, and watch the magic unfold!